Strip Tillage Fall Nitrogen Application
We designed this study to demonstrate differences in nitrogen rates and yields under the same nitrogen product, where the producer planted corn for two consecutive growing seasons.
We conducted this trial to:
- demonstrate strip till application of anhydrous ammonia, a proven conservation practice
- demonstrate how the farmer can conduct his own on-farm NUE using field-scale equipment with minimal disruption of his normal field operations
- show how RTK guidance and variable-rate application equipment can improve nitrogen application efficiency
- show how RTK yield monitoring equipment works at harvest time
- show how the farmer and his advisers can collect data and make management decisions during the winter months.
We set plot sizes to match the farmer’s equipment width, which allowed him to do all of the plot work needed for the demonstration.